Saturday, February 9, 2013

Cinnamon Sugar Almonds

The Single Serving!
I've been on this sugar kick recently that I wish I could control. That bag of Reese's Cups in my work drawer seemed like a genius idea at the time, but I'm afraid I have been eating them every moment I have a lull in the office.  So to fuel my desire for sweets, I thought I would make a 'semi' healthier alternative to store-bought candy. Growing up in NYC, anyone can tell you about the divine aroma that comes from the street vendors selling candied almonds and walnuts along the city blocks. So I tried my own take on this classic treat- Cinnamon Sugar Almonds.  I've read elsewhere that people make these often as gifts for holidays or as favors, so do whatever fancies you- I am going to eat all of mine!

Start your engines! (ps. I had pre-combined cinnamon & sugar from a previous meal)
Dissolve sugar, cinnamon, and water into skillet
Coat all the almonds in syrupy mixture
Sugar will begin to crystallize
For easier cleanup, place wax paper over a baking sheet or in baking pan- let cool
Sugary Treats for Me!
Cinnamon Sugar Almond Recipe:
     Ingredients-
    1/3 cup, sugar
    1 cup, raw almonds (or any other nut-you'll notice some walnuts snuck into my dish)
    1/2 tbs, cinnamon
    1/6 cup (or a large splash), water


     How To-
On medium heat, take a large skillet and combine the sugar, cinnamon and water, mixing until sugar is dissolved. (I had my cinnamon and sugar pre-combined from a previous meal). Add the almonds until coated in sugar mixture. Stir constantly until the sugar crystallizes. Remove the almonds and place onto wax or parchment paper. Best if placed in the fridge soon after cooling so that the sugar can crystallize completely.

Enjoy!

Thoughts:
If I was more motivated, these would make a terrific take-home gift for friends or colleagues. With the exception of the cooling time, this sugary treat took maybe ten minutes, so if you're into no fuss quick snacks, then this is your bet. Plus, it's made with nuts, so that must make it healthy.


1 comment:

  1. You should make kettle corn. I tried to make some tonight and it didn't quite turn out--edible but not awesome. So, if you make it and then I use your recipe, and it still doesn't work out, I can blame you. Haha, no I'd like to see how you do it

    Beccy

    ReplyDelete