Monday, December 10, 2012

Shrimp Scampi, Quinoa, and Tomato Mozzarella Salad

I am going to dedicate this first meal to my pops CB, for the man loves food with a passion, and has been sending me recipes links since I was a freshman in university.  Seven years and two degrees later, I feel like I owe the man his due credit so I decided to do a simple meal (also in hopes of inspiring him to be healthy) of shrimp scampi and quinoa (the new 'it' grain- its so popular i think i want its phone number)
I love my daddy and my skyline






yes, this is the same man (check out his feature in Dads are the Original Hipsters debut book)
I took this recipe from an email (one of billions!) that CB has sent me over the years because I didn't have many ingredients in the apartment and thus Shrimp Scampi with artichoke hearts and quinoa was born.  The original recipe is by a lass (I assume on a food blog) named Ellie Krieger back from '07.  The original doesn't add a side so I added the quinoa, and I didn't have shallots and I hate parsley (I hate garnishes with a passion).  I also bought a tomato that would have gone bad soon so I made a tomato and mozzarella salad because its healthy and cheesy.

Always line up your Ingredients

We don't really care about the Quinoa, it's cooking like you cook rice- I hope I don't have to teach you how to do that

Heated the olive oil and softening the garlic clove
Stir in the shrimp, artichoke hearts, white wine, and lemon juice until shrimp is ready
On the side- tomato and mozzarella salad with olive oil and vinegar
The Single Serving
Yes, that is white wine in a frozen beer mug

Shrimp Scampi Recipe:
     Ingredients-
 1 clove, chopped, Garlic
1/4 tbs, Olive Oil
1/4 tbs, Lemon Juice (real lemon or my preferred way, out of a bottle)
1/3 cup, Shrimp- peeled and deveined (up to you if you want to remove tails before cooking)
3.5oz, Artichoke Hearts
splash of White Wine
pinch of Salt and Pepper

     How To-
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the chopped garlic and cook until its softened (~a minute and a half) but don't let it get burnt. Next, add the shrimp, artichoke hearts, white wine, and lemon juice, cooking until the shrimp is cooked all the way through (2-4 min). Grind some salt and pepper on top and serve on top of quinoa.



Tomato Mozzarella Salad Recipe:
     Ingredients-
 1/2 Tomato
1/2 Mozzarella ball
oil and vinegar to your liking (i smother in vinegar)



     How To-
Cut up tomato and mozzarella to your liking (I like bigger pieces) and douse it in the oil and vinegar.  Can add olives to this salad but I didn't have any.

Thoughts:
Converting recipes is hard work, I sometimes underestimate the flavor conversions.  I would have added another clove of garlic and some more lemon juice for flavor- which I added afterwards





1 comment:

  1. OMG, quinoa is delicious. Also your design has become better since yesterday.

    ReplyDelete