Saturday, December 22, 2012

Steak & Baked Potatoes

     This past week, as it is the week before Christmas, I had a lot of deadlines and after work parties to attend- #firstworldproblems.  However, as such, I didn't have a chance to do any cooking for myself as I ate out mostly.  But I had still had the leftover red onion from the chorizo mac & cheese recipe, some leftover potatoes and an eye-round steak I needed to cook. I didn't want these to go to waste while I am away for the break. A big part of this blog is also trying to not waste ingredients. So for one meal, I was able to make a meal using all of these. This particular recipe will yield two servings as this is the smallest steak I could buy and I had two much onion for a single serving.  Thus the two baby potatoes, one for each serving.
your ingredients
place potatoes in baking pan and cook for 45 min
chop up the remaining onions
place the chopped onions in the melted butter
brown the onions until they are soft
cook the steak until desired done-ness (I prefer medium)
The Single Serving!
Steak & Baked Potatoes Recipe:
     Ingredients-
3 tbs, butter
3 qtrs, Red Onion, sliced 
2 baby Russet Potatos
1 Eye-Round Steak
Dollop of Sour Cream

     How To-
Preheat oven to 400 and pierce your potatoes so they can breathe while in the oven. Put the potatoes in the oven for ~45 minutes (since these are on the smaller side).  Around the 35 minute mark, start melting 2 tbs of butter on medium low heat.  Slice the red onion while the butter is melting.  Stir in the onion so it is coated in butter and let brown/soften (~6-8 minutes).  Remove the onions to a plate and melt 1 tbs of butter for the steak on medium heat.  Cook your steak until desired done-ness; I cooked mine until medium (5-7 minutes on each side). The steak and potatoes should be done cooking around the same time. Slice steak and place onions on top.  Open the baked potato and drop your dollop of sour cream (I may use more than a dollop, just saying). Enjoy!

Thoughts:
Definitely a good go-to for leftover ingredients.


Happy Holidays!!!


1 comment:

  1. Food blog? Or Justine's surreptitious mate recruitment service? Steak and potatoes is a good route to go if the latter.

    ReplyDelete