Monday, December 10, 2012

The First Bite


     I'm not a foodie nor am I a great cook (I am a much better baker), but I'm trying...really really hard. That said, now that I am living on my own again, sans roommates and sans special someone to impress with my baking, I discovered that there aren't any food or cooking blogs or cookbooks that cater to ONE SERVING SIZE.  It's incredibly annoying to have to look up a recipe converter every time I want to make a meal after work as I'm usually tired and want to relax-the last thing I want to do is troll the internet for serving size modifiers (the day-to-day of archaeological research is much more grueling than you might think (ask Indy)).  I also find it astounding that there are no decent recipe nooks for The Single Woman or Man.  Not everyone is trying to cook 6 servings- do I look like I throw a party every night for dinner? I don't live with 4 roommates either- not even one! and as much as I love my friends and love going to parties at their places, I don't like doing it for myself on a regular basis.  Thus emerges THE SINGLE SERVING- one serving meals for the boy or gal COOKING FOR ONE!

A few intro bites about me as your new foodie guru, as I am sure we should get these out of the way so we can get onto the good food
- I am extremely picky with my food- I am pretty sure I inherited this trait by osmosis from my sister who is even pickier than I am, for example you will never ever see me make a fruit salad (it literally makes my skin crawl and I have absolutely no reason why, it just does) 
that's her osmosising me
- I am single and COOKING FOR ONE (it's so much cheaper), a bit of a change for me

-See previous bite but COOKING FOR ONE is so much more affordable- even if you happen to live in a house or apartment with other people, you still might be cooking for yourself (I hate sharing fridges- that's another thing) so THE SINGLE SERVING might still be super helpful

- My food pictures might be supplemented by Instagram filters once in a while, but generally they aren't going to look naturally picturesque or photoshopped- I do not have the fancy equipment or skill to make it look like unicorns made these meals for faeries (although please tell me if you've ever seen that)
took this at a boulangerie in Paris
-I'm pretty sure my Nana would be amazed right now and might faint (Nana if you're reading this please don't faint!) because it has taken her a millennium to teach me to cook (and the woman is a master- she was asked to be on the Food Network last year) and I am finally realizing my niche in this Eat Eat Love world. If you're lucky, I will feature some of her recipes on this blog, although I cannot hope to do them justice.  No matter who cooks them, its never the same as Nana's. NEVER
Food Network (what what!)
- At the end of each post, I will be putting my thoughts on how the recipes turned out- whether I was satisfied with the meal or if I would have converted it differently- I'm not perfect

- Disclaimer- Unless stated that the recipes I am using are my own (probably Nana's though, let's be honest), I am really not that spontaneous and that applies to my meals too, I will almost always be using and converting other people's and other cookbook's recipes to ONE SERVING SIZE.  That said- I will ALWAYS say who/where I got the recipe and if I am able, I will link to the original.  Never one to not give credit where it is due, especially for great food.

Well, that might be the longest blog post I have ever written (self-promo: I have another archaeological travel blog LostArk.org).  Forgive me in advance if some nights I just cook mac and cheese for one (with wine) and don't broadcast it to the world, but I've made a pre-new years resolution to be on top of posting.  And with these last words, I invite you to join me, single or not, living alone or not, as we order a table for one.

2 comments:

  1. First post! Woo. I look forward to more. I'm going to start a counter-blog were I re-engineer your recipes into full portion meals using only my terrible cooking skills and sensibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect- I think we should do these recipes in a circular fashion, see how many times we can make the same one and how much worse it gets with each conversion ;p

      Delete