Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Egg & Broccoli Rice Pilaf


I think this was Nana's at some point- I'm not sure if she gave it to me because I relate to Martha or the Bitch....hmmm
     Tonight, I am racing a deadline at work for an archaeological conference presentation I have to make in January (see my presentation abstracts here).  I also forgot to take meat out last night.  Thus, I found a box of Trader Joe's rice pilaf/orzo and I had some frozen broccoli florets and a egg.  Feel free to use real broccoli here, I just prefer only the florets  and the cheapest least wasteful way to do that is to buy them frozen. Since it's very hard to open a box of rice (or similar product) without using the whole thing, I did get leftovers of the pilaf from this recipe- however the other ingredients are geared for ONE SERVING.

I really love Kikkoman Soy Sauce; too bad it's not medicine

Butter is melted, rice and seasoning are stirred, water is added

Pot is brought to a boil and then let to simmer, covered
Delicious pilaf

In retrospect, I remembered I always add garlic salt and lemon juice when I cook broccoli (it might be the only way I know)
Splash lemon juice and pour the garlic salt generously
One scrambled egg coming right up
The Single Serving

Drizzled in soy sauce
Egg & Broccoli Rice Pilaf Recipe:
     Ingredients-
 2 tbs, Butter
2 cups, Water
1 box, preferred brand of Rice Pilaf
1 tbs, Lemon Juice
1 tbs, Garlic Salt
1 Egg
1/3 cup, chopped broccoli
Splash of Soy Sauce

     How To-
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.  Add the contents of the rice box (rice and seasoning) and stir well. Slowly bring this to a boil, and add the water.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the water. About 10 minutes into the pilaf cooking, start on the broccoli.  Add the chopped florets to a separate skillet on medium heat.  Douse with lemon juice and garlic salt. Let broccoli cook for 5-7 min, occasionally stirring and adding a pinch more garlic salt.  Put the broccoli in a plate and scramble the egg in the same pan.  Both meals should be done cooking simultaneously. Mix up with soy sauce and serve!

Thoughts:
This was really unexpectedly delicious. I thought it would be a decent meal thrown together at the last minute. Yet despite the few ingredients, the flavors were very explosive. Would easily make again.  Plus, protein from the egg.

1 comment:

  1. Kind of like a fried rice thing. Soy sauce is about the best fermented thing ever invented. In high school I would sometimes just eat white rice and kikkoman.

    Rocking the cross promotion too. Better be some video of your talk in January.

    ReplyDelete